Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Question about 70V transformers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member katzenandguthrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2005
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi everybody, I have some questions about 70v transformers. I have an application where I need to convert some 8ohm amps up to 70v for some overhead speakers in a house of worship. I have an Altec 15524A and some Rauland type 216 70v units and when I test them with a 2k square wave the Altec looks outstanding but the Rauland doesn?t look so good. I?m guessing that it?s just the fact that I?m looking at an Altec verses a Rauland. That being the case, what would be the part number of an Altec that would be in the 60 to 70 w range? Can these transformers be found? Any input is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    For years and years and years, Altec had the BEST 70-volt transformers - the lowest insertion loss and core saturation around. Everyone who remembers Altec's "Truth Box" will attest to how poor in quality the competition really was.

    Today, Lowell Mfg. makes really good transformers. Seeing as how we can't get Altec transformers anymore, I'd go with them.

    Are you needing amplifier output transformers and speaker line transformers, too?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member katzenandguthrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2005
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In this situation, I just need to to step up the output of the amp. I know that the transformers on the speakers are most likely junk but right now my focus is on the amp side.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Much as I don't care for the brand, Peavey makes a very heavy trans for just what you mention. I've seen them cheap on FeePay. Peavey is consistent, a lot like a fast food chain. May not taste the best, but it sure ain't the worst, and you won't starve.

    I'll keep my eyes peeled- if I see anything cheap i'll post here.

    Sad part? 90% chance I have something I would love to sell you dirt cheap- but elephino where it is.
    BTW, an elephino is a cross between an elephant and a rhino... forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is a QSC version, but it's probably twice the price of the Peavey.

    http://www.qscstore.com/ot600.html

    Is that the kind of thing you need? I've seen the Peavey version go for $50 on Feepay, but if ya can't find one...

  6. #6
    Inactive Member katzenandguthrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2005
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The QSC is what I'm looking for but I'm not sure about that $140.00 part(!)Should I try and get one of the Lowel's or do you think the Peavey is about the same grade?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    There's Edcor Electronics. They have different
    wattage transformers.You might want to chek them out.

    http://www.edcorusa.com/

    ...........

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    My guess is the Peavey is better, but that's a guess only.

    Most of the major amp manufactureers have something.

    Rane made a 6 channel amp. A week or two back Feepay had a 6 transformer rack mount unit that fit under one, to make all 6 channels 70 volt.

    The killer is gonna be how fast you have to move- if you git time, something will come up. If not, ya gotta pay the going rate.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's the QSC at a much better price- maybe you can leverage your local dealer with this to save shipping...

    http://www.allprosound.com/catalog/p...p?fprodid=1139

    Here's the Peavey at $63.90

    http://proacousticsusa.com/productdetail.php?pId=382

    I've used both, can't hear the difference. Both good.

    At that price I wouldn't consider the used $50 Peavey I saw on FeePay a good deal.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Something just popped into my brain, the Peavey listed is a series II, I think I played with an older one. Just in the interest of 100% disclosure. I doubt much difference but...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.